From Texas-sized 2 Tiny House For Three
We finished putting the window trim up on the left side of the house yesterday, so now at least that side is ready for the siding to go up. Yay! Brandy is home today hard at work chipping away at the right side of the house to finish the laths and hopefully get the two windows on that side trimmed out, too, so that when I have my last batch of several days off in a row next week (for this month any way) we can hopefully go full-steam ahead and knock out both sides. For point of reference, I use the end with the front door as the “front” of the house, so by left side I mean to the left of the door looking at it from the ground and vice versa for the right. I could get all nautical and use port and starboard, but since I can never remember which is which I’ll be boring on the directional orientation front. 😉
Anyway, here’s a quick look at the three stages of window trim install. I say “finished,” but technically all of these windows and their mates on the right side (as well as the tongue side ones after we build our storage shed back there) won’t truly be finished until we split some of the 4″ diameter white birch poles into the various lengths needed to cover the extra long exposed cedar you’ll see at the top of each window. The cedar is acting as a placeholder for the siding install and will be covered with the birch once the rest of the wall is up. Just easier this way.
Step 1: Attaching the “legs” we created by gluing 5/8″ cedar to the back of the 5/8″ rustic reclaimed barn wood I picked up from Reclaimed DesignWorks in Dallas. We prepped these earlier in the week but decided later that it would be easier to attach the cedar to the house first and then glue & screw the barn wood on top of that. We had to thicken up the window trim because the siding we’re using (beetle kill pine from Sustainable Lumber Co. and cedar from Cedar Supply Inc.) is all 1″ thick, and the window trim would otherwise be recessed below the level the siding. No bueno!
Step 2: I sealed the back and all sides of these 3″ x 5/8″ cedar pieces to protect them from water damage the day before, and Brandy cut them to the length the 4″ white birch poles will be cut down to as well. We made the cedar narrower than the birch to allow for the natural size variations that occur in trees so that all you see is the birch and not the cedar beneath it. You can also see if you look closely that I started sealing the edges of the legs with a Harbor Mist (grey) colored stain sample I had on hand from Sherwin-Williams. I just didn’t feel like dragging the ladder out to reach the top parts. lol
Step 3: We cut the bottom pieces of cedar just a bit thicker – 4″ instead of the 3″ used on the sides and top – to give the look a more completed look (well, *I* think it looks better anyway), and they are flush with the outer edges of the “legs” in a butt-joint fashion. My only complaint is that the window to the far right of the photo sits against the studs differently than the others, so the screws that attach the bottom right of the barn wood (not pictured) throws off the alignment of the screws. My pattern-seeking OCD had me twitching at the imbalance, but as Brandy reminded me, “Ya gotta go where the studs are,” and I don’t think he meant Chippendales! Ha!
Step 4: We used a good thick coating of some extra strength Elmer’s wood glue and painted it onto the back of the barn wood before lining them up with their corresponding pieces of cedar and screwing them together for an extra tight, permanent bond.
Step 5: Ta da! Here’s our “tiny baby window,” as R.A.D calls it, for the dry side of our split bathroom. All that’s left is adding the birch poles once we get the siding on. Yay!